Real Estate Agent on the Northern Beaches
Call Us: 0412 226 722
Manly Fairlight lease rent 2094 2095 2096 2093

Doing It Right!

Hiring The Right Trades

If you own an investment property? Maintenance work will need to be done. A handyman often comes to mind as a good low-cost alternative to engaging a licensed contractor. They are limited however in the types of work they can legally do.  Furthermore, they are not always any less expensive than hiring a fully licensed tradesman. 

Engaging a suitably licensed plumber minimises unnecessary risks to your tenants’ health and safety, and ensures that plumbing work complies with legislation, codes and standards.  This will save you money in the long run.  Rectifying non-compliant work and any subsequent damage may end up costing more than the original charge.  Insurance will not cover loss as a result of poor workmanship. 

Charging Out Water Usage

If you intend to charge your tenant for water usage, your plumbing needs to be maintained at standards, which ensure maximum flow rates. Your handyman may not be on top of this requirement and this could cost you dearly if challenged at a later date. 

When hiring someone to do any plumbing work, you must make sure they hold a current licence. Only a qualified and licensed plumber and/or drainer can legally undertake repairs such as: 
 1. replacing tap washers or taps 
2.repairing or replacing leaking toilets and cisterns 
3. repairing or replacing a hot water service 
4. repairing water leaks or
5. clearing and repairing blocked sewer lines. 

Any person doing plumbing repairs for a payment who is not suitably licensed is breaking the law and can be fined $1,100. If the person engaging them does so knowingly, that person may also be breaking the law. 

Urgent Repairs

Remember, your tenant is legally entitled to spend up to $1,000 on urgent repairs; which includes fixing faulty plumbing. After hours call out charges are expensive.

For peace of mind, reducing costs and ensuring your property is always in peak condition, we recommend that you use properly licensed tradespeople.

Shane Spence has been Fairlight’s real estate agent since 1997. We have always prided ourselves on the service we provide to our clients (our landlords and vendors) and our clients clients (tenants and purchasers). If you are looking to sell or have a property to lease in the local Northern Beaches area, feel welcome to call Shane to see how we might be of assistance.